It's race day! Finally, the Pearl Street Mile is here. Scott already ran in the other two races that are part of this short race series every summer in Boulder (as he does every year), and is planning on dominating this race as well...but this is my first race ever. And I have been thinking about this day probably since April, when I decided it would be a nice thing to do. That's kind of pathetic, I think, considering it's really only 1 mile long and our cats could probably run a mile easily (not in a straight line of course), but here I am agonizing over what I'll eat today and what shirt to wear during the race for optimal comfort and fashion.
But what I find most stunning of all is that I can't stop thinking about running the mile in P.E. at Williamsburg Middle School. These memories started flooding in yesterday afternoon and I simply can't stop them. So the closest I've ever come to a race before has been running the mile in P.E. to pass the physical fitness tests, and while I hardly remember doing it during high school, I have this memory of running the mile around the WMS fields and being petrified for days in advance. I remember exactly where the race ended on those fields - and that was 15 or 16 years ago! That experience was a few years before I was finally given an inhaler and there's a solid chance that that breathing assistance has made a lot of difference in my ability to run decently. Scott has been suggesting that I need to stop worrying about running poorly - that he thinks the people who mentally jinx themselves in running are those are more worried about running poorly than about running well. So I'm trying to focus my energy on running well and not on my middle school trials and tribulations.
Don't worry, there will be photos taken (oh my...) and I'll report back tomorrow on how the race goes for both of us. And with stories on how we've dipped half of Aspen in a vat of orange dye and the other half in purple dye to show his multiple allegiances to Tennessee and Northwestern/Furman with the start of college football this weekend. Scott will be the one to hold Aspen. Ha. Kidding, but it's a fun thought right?
Thursday, August 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You will run FABULOUSLY! Just enjoy it - relax your shoulders, keep your head up and just keep your arms moving. The legs will just follow along! Have fun! We'll be cheering for your from Up North!
Awesome, I didn't know you were running. Good luck!
I think runners who haven't raced tend to get discouraged in the middle of the race and then feel great at the end. They finish and realize they could have run harder in the middle. Just realize when you hit the 1K mark that you don't feel as bad as your body tells you.
-Brian
Here's the real question, Brian: will I pull a Brian and puke on the course? Possible.
In my track workouts (clearly Scott's suggestion), I've been able to power home at the end with way more speed than I thought I had left...so yes, I need to figure out a way to distribute it throughout the mile a little better. Maybe Coach Scott should be at the 1K mark to cheer me on.
Post a Comment