Scott and I are dog sitting this weekend as a favor for a classmate of Scott's. Porter is a big, skinny dog - part German Shepherd, part Blue Heeler, and part wolf. Yes, I said wolf. We acquired him this afternoon and after work Scott and I were going to take him to the nearby dog park and walk around there with him. While Scott was getting his shoes on, I took Porter outside to go toss around a small, squeaky toy he was excited about. Now Joe, Porter's owner, had told me to keep Porter on his leash but like a true idiot, I thought, oh how far can he get, I'll let him run in our tiny courtyard with the toy. Ha. Wait, double ha. Porter was off like a rocket. He dashed up and down the alleyway and then took a turn toward the street. I ran after him trying to catch him before he got to the street and got hit by a car. But Porter is fast and I am not. I can honestly say the next 15 minutes of my life were pure hell. Porter ran towards the highway near our street and it's only a miracle he didn't try to cross it. The closer I tried to get to him, the faster he ran. The louder I yelled for both Porter (and Scott who had tried to find us at the dog park, not realizing the chase that was ensuing), the faster he ran. I think he ran into the street about 7 or 8 times and each time I was sure that would be the end of Porter and I'd have to confess to Joe that we killed his dog. But Porter still ran faster. Neighbors came outside and tried to help. I lost my shoes at some point. Porter entered the gravel/peat factory and I chased him around there (where, by the way, the grumpy old owner told me I ought to be wearing shoes; thanks buddy). Finally, some kind souls stopped in their car and helped me chase Porter back toward our condo, at which point we found Scott who was thoroughly confused as to where we had been this whole time. The 5 of us got Porter trapped into a small grassy area right near the highway and one of the neighbors thought to bring her own dog over to try and draw Porter near. Thankfully that did the job and Porter was finally captured. He's now sleeping on the living room floor looking like an angel. Meanwhile I have bruised/cut up feet, a hoarse voice, and seriously damaged nerves.
It was a miserable, miserable experience. I have learned in just a few short hours of watching Porter that I may never own a dog. Aspen and Millie are quietly rejoicing from the closet they've holed up in.
Thursday, August 09, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Seriously Dude-ette, you need to be keeping a journal with photos. This has the makings of a TV documentary with the possibility of a mini-series.
Does/will Porter's owner know about this, or will it be our little secret?
Of course, this could be part of your fiendishly clever plot to never be asked to dog sit again.
Since everything ended well for all of you I'm allowed to say this...
That was one of the funniest stories I have heard in a long time. It is true that real life is better than fiction.
Oh my - what a crazy day. Sorry to hear about the madness, sgore! I think you need a little vacation to recover from such a harrowing experience...perhaps to the Twin Cities? Can't wait to see you!!
Post a Comment