Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Grass Fires in Boulder - We're OK

Hi family and friends - just a quick update on the Boulder grass fires that are still burning about 2 or so miles from our condo. We're fine - we got the reverse 911 call earlier tonight (or our neighbor did and told us about it since we have no land line) and so we headed over to our friend KC's house. Much to the cats' dismay. - they don't care to travel. The fire started when the super strong wind today (gusts in the 80 and 90 mph region) knocked down a transformer or phone and power line or something like that...it turned into multiple fires and most are contained. We decided to come back home since the winds have almost completely died down and the fires are diverting away from our direction. I think we're safe at home tonight but I'm setting an alarm to wake me in the middle of the night a few times just to check on everything. I know, I'm probably paranoid but I'd rather do that than not know - and I'd like to sleep here at home where I can keep an eye on everything. And since we haven't been part of a mandatory door-to-door evacuation yet at this point (as some other neighborhoods about a mile away were), the cops will knock on our door if things get bad again.

Anyway.

Photos...
View from right outside our condo/bedroom window at around 4 or 5 this afternoon:

This one is actually from our bed:

Then here's a photo taken from about a block down the street from our building:

And then some night images and a video - we took these after we returned home and you can see things have died down a fair amount.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're safe. How about those interviews?